Department of Justice Accredited Representative for Community Education
Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project
Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, a program of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., is a non-profit law firm which provides community education and legal representation to immigrant adults, families, unaccompanied minors, individuals with mental health issues, and in cases involving crimmigration. Esperanza has proudly provided legal services to immigrants and their families in Southern California for over 15 years. More information is available at www.esperanza-la.org.
Esperanza seeks a full-time Department of Justice Fully Accredited Representative to work in our Community Education program. The immigration court system does not provide court-appointed counsel to individuals facing deportation who cannot afford an attorney, so this vulnerable population relies on our Community Education program to obtain critical information about the process. The Community Education program was created to more effectively meet this need and guide pro se immigrants through the increasingly complicated and strained immigration system.
The DOJ Accredited Representative will work under the direct supervision of the Managing Attorney to provide various self-help services for non-detained adults and families. The core program services include legal orientations regarding removal proceedings and legal relief; intake and follow-up services; self-help workshops; and referrals for pro bono assistance or social services. Additional responsibilities include:
• Conducting Friend of Court services during hearings;
• Mentoring and supervising interns and volunteers;
• Creating and properly maintaining participant files;
• Performing administrative and data-entry tasks;
• Referring individuals to social services;
• Developing and updating legal program materials and presentation techniques; and
• Expanding access to counsel through pro bono referrals.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field;
• Three to five years of related experience;
• Full Accreditation by the U.S. Department of Justice;
• Strong organizational, case management, legal research, and legal writing skills required;
• Strong oral and written communication skills;
• Spanish language proficiency required and will be tested at time of interview;
• Ability to take initiative, work under pressure, and problem solve independently;
• Willingness to be a team-player with an attitude and aptitude for collaboration; and
• Passion for social justice for immigrants and vulnerable communities.
• Experience working with vulnerable client populations, particularly with children, families, or clients with mental health issues; and
• Experience in community outreach and/or public speaking.
Our office is located at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015. This position may require regional travel to immigration courts. Mileage is reimbursed.
Full Time Position
Depends on experience (D.O.E.) + generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, 10 sick days, 15 vacation days/year, 12 paid holidays/year, retirement plan, and FSA account. All new hires are subject to a 6-month probationary period.
Position open until filled, early applications are encouraged.
How to Apply
Simultaneously email cover letter, resume, at least 2 references, and a brief writing sample (5 pages or less) to:
(1) email@example.com Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, and
(2) Evelyn Cedeño-Naik, Directing Attorney, Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015.
(3) Jennifer V. Macias, Managing Attorney, Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, email@example.com , 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.
Other job openings at Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project are advertised by Catholic Charities of Los Angeles on behalf of Esperanza.
To apply, please follow the instructions provided in the job advertisement.