Released Youth Program Administrative Assistant
Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project
Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, a program of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., is a non-profit law firm which provides community education and legal representation to Southern California’s most vulnerable immigrant communities. Esperanza provides legal representation to immigrants who are in detention and/or removal proceedings, and focuses on particularly complex immigration cases which may involve adults with mental health issues, unaccompanied minors and cases with past criminal history. Esperanza also provides community education and pro se assistance to immigrants in removal proceedings both in detained and non-detained settings. Esperanza has proudly provided legal services to immigrants and their families in Los Angeles for over 15 years. More information can be found about Esperanza at www.esperanza-la.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Data management, including data entry;
• Performing general administrative duties, including filing, copying, note-taking, etc;
• Managing high-volume phone line;
• Assisting with scheduling and calendaring for attorneys and other support staff;
• Acting as first point of contact for all visitors to Esperanza;
• Coordinating daily mail distribution and outgoing mail for all staff including mail merges;
• Running filings to immigration court and other courts as assigned by attorneys;
• Composing and revising correspondence to clients in Spanish and English;
• Assisting in the preparation of immigration applications for clients;
• Working with clients and their families to schedule appointments and gather documents needed for representation;
• Referring individuals to other agencies when Esperanza cannot assist them;
• Creating and properly maintaining client files;
• Providing any other administrative work needed to support Esperanza’s programs.
Education and/or Experience
(1) Associate Degree in related field, or 3-5 years of related experience (BA degree is a plus); (2) meticulous attention to detail; (3) strong organizational skills and the ability to problem solve independently; (4) Experience working at a non-profit organization preferred; (5) Experience working in a legal office, especially with immigration or criminal law preferred; (6) Fluency in oral and written Spanish required; (7) Strong work ethic and ability to work under pressure; (8) Strong verbal communication, phone and writing skills; (8) Strong typing and computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Mail Merges, etc. (9) Passion for social justice for immigrants required.
Our office is located at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015. These position may travel in and around Los Angeles and surrounding counties. Mileage is reimbursed.
Commensurate with experience + generous benefits package.
Position open until filled, early applications are encouraged.
How to Apply
All applicants should include a cover letter that addresses: 1) Why are you interested in working with immigrants? 2) Why do you think Esperanza would be a good fit for you? 3) What skills make you particularly suited for the position described?
Simultaneously mail, email or fax resume, cover letter and at least 2 references to both (1) Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, Fax: (213) 251-3402, EEO; and (2) Particia Ortiz, Program Director, Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, , 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., LA, CA 90015, Fax: (213) 487-0986, EEO. Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., is an equal-opportunity employer. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please, no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.
Other job openings at Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project are advertised by Catholic Charities of Los Angeles on behalf of Esperanza.
To apply, please follow the instructions provided in the job advertisement.