Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project
Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, a program of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc.,
is a non-profit law firm which provides community education and legal representation to
immigrant adults, families, unaccompanied minors, individuals with mental health issues,
and in cases involving crimmigration. Esperanza is one of the few programs across the
country that provides services to pro se detained and non-detained immigrants. Esperanza
has proudly provided legal services to immigrants and their families in Southern California
for over 15 years. More information can be found about Esperanza at
Esperanza seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work primarily in our Representation
Program, assisting detained and non-detained immigrants in removal proceedings.
The Staff Attorney will have the opportunity to work on a variety of cases under the
supervision of a Managing Attorney. Representation will include applying for relief such
as Asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, Cancellation of Removal, as well as
contesting deportation with innovative legal theories.
- Juris Doctorate;
- Active bar admission or awaiting bar results (California state bar preferred, but not
- Experience (including internships) in a legal setting (preferably in immigration
and/or public interest law);
- Strong organizational, case management, legal research, and legal writing skills;
- Ability to take initiative and work under pressure;
- Willingness to be a team-player with an attitude and aptitude for collaboration;
- Passion for social justice for immigrants and vulnerable communities
- Proficiency in a second language such as Spanish, French, Mandarin, Portuguese,
and Mayan dialect;
- Experience working with vulnerable client populations, particularly with children,
families, or clients with mental health issues;
- Experience in community outreach and/or public speaking
Our office is located at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015. This position may require frequent regional travel, up to several times per week. We represent clients throughout the region, including: Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange County and even Kern County. Mileage is reimbursed.
Full Time, Exempt. The work week is generally 40 hours per week on a year round basis; however the position requires a willingness and flexibility in work hours when necessary to fulfill job responsibilities.
Depends on experience (D.O.E.)
Benefits package including:
- Life Insurance
- 15 vacation days per year
- 10 sick days per year
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Retirement Plan
- FSA Account
- Bar dues payment;
- Fees for membership in specialty bar association;
- Mileage reimbursement
Applications will be considered on rolling basis, interested applicants are encouraged to apply early.
How to Apply
Simultaneously email cover letter, resume, at least 2 references, and a brief writing sample (5 pages or less) to:
(1) Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, and
(2) Gabriel Arellano, Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, Garellano@ccharities.org. In email subject line please place your full name, and the position for which you are applying. 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.
Other job openings at Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project are advertised by Catholic Charities of Los Angeles on behalf of Esperanza.
To apply, please follow the instructions provided in the job advertisement.